Feb 21, 2009

Troubled waters

Yesterday I compared the carefree SoxandPhils camps with that of the steroid-tainted Yankees. The cloud of steroids, which has already cost the Phillies their second-best reliever for nearly a third of the season, is now approaching Boston.

David Ortiz has trained with the guy who may be Alex Rodriguez' supplier. He's denying using, but sees no reason to stop going to Angel Presinal's facility. I really want to believe him, but we've heard denials before. Plus, he's tripping himself up already, saying he has to be careful with whom he associates, but that he hasn't stopped associating himself with anyone, including Presinal:

Do you have to be careful about who you associate with?
Ortiz: Of course. Especially in these days.

Are there people you don't associate with anymore?
Ortiz: No, I don't care what people say. It's the way you show yourself out there. That's what I think it is. But definitely you've got to be careful with anybody that is
involved in any kind of stuff like whatever is going on right now.

[...]

You said you have to be careful with the people you associate with, but there's no one you no longer associate with?
Ortiz: I don't have that problem. I'm pretty much always with my family. I'm not the kind of person that has relationships with strangers.

Then, he refused to answer the basic gimme question whether he is upset about the reputation the Dominican Republic is getting with steroids. "I can't comment about that. I don't know too much about that," he said.

Funny, he had no trouble commenting on the topic in 2005, when he said the steroids policy is unfair to Latin players who don't speak English.

I hope this all turns out to be coincidence, but I don't like where it's heading. Or maybe I'm just cranky from a lack of sleep.

Last night, when Christine and I returned home from an excellent dinner to celebrate her birthday (which is actually today) we looked forward to a rare evening in which we had absolutely nothing to do. But when I turned on the fish tank light, I saw the tank was leaking and had ruined the wooden fish stand. From experience, I quickly drained the tank and put the fish in a bucket. Christine found the receipt for the tank and stand, and I was soon on the phone with the pet store, less than an hour before it closed, to tell them I expected the items to be replaced.

The manager agreed - I think it was the desperation in my voice when I said, "My fish are in a bucket. This has to be taken care of tonight."

We arrived at the store just before it closed and got the new stand and tank. By the time the stand was assembled and there was enough water in the tank to get through the night, it was past 1 a.m. The ironic thing is that earlier in the day, I had seen a recap of the 2008 Red Sox season and I had forgotten that they trailed Game 5 of the ALCS 7-0. I guess those details slip your mind when you're unexpectedly scooping up fish.

No fish seemed to have been injured last night, thankfully.

No comments: