Feb 12, 2009

I hate Bud Selig

I've tolerated Bud Selig doing nothing as the Yankees have freely spent small-market teams such as the Expos (and now the Nationals), Royals and Pirates into oblivion.

I've forgiven him for the strike and cancellation of the 1994 World Series.

I didn't even get that mad at him for making us sit through the really cold and rainy first half of last year's World Series Game 5.

But what he has now done is unforgivable: He has made me defend Alex Rodriguez.

After days of mulling the situation, Selig said Wednesday he was considering punishing A-Roid. I'm all for punishing the juicers, but you can't pick and choose your spots or make up rules and enforce them years after the transgression.

And as much as I wish it could be, Hank Aaron can no longer be the home run king. I think he has too much pride and integrity to allow that to happen.

I've been saying for years we should remove tainted World Series titles, but I now know that's impossible. Find me one team during the steroid era that wasn't touched at all by drugs. Even the last two SoxandPhils championships in the "clean" era had connections to steroids - J.C. Romero (technically on both teams) and Eric Gagne.

Selig could have done something about steroids when they were prevalent. He chose to do nothing. Baseball has been tarnished, and all we can do is sit back and watch as Slappy cheats Barry Bonds out of the record he cheated away from Hank Aaron.

Way to go Bud.

I'm so frustrated I want to hit him with a baseball bat. No, that's not funny. And it could get me sued like Jose Offerman.

And, it seems that Bud's advisers warned him what a PR nightmare it would be if I had to align myself with Slappy against him. He's not going to punish the roider nor tinker with the record book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right about not being able to remove tainted ws championships. At least the new commish ( who knows who or when that will be) should re-award MVPs and CY Youngs. If the Bud will not punnish A-rod then why punnish manny. We need a comish who is willing to BAN any steriod users. If that is the case, with in ten years, steriods will be gone.