Feb 5, 2009

Party like it's 1984

I'm sticking to the promise I made last year to retire from fantasy baseball. I like the game, but I don't have the time to make a proper effort at it.

But if I were to be tempted, Major League Baseball surely knows how. I could be suckered into its gimmick of using a 1984 Topps baseball card design for its fantasy baseball cards.

It's great seeing Dustin Pedroia, Clay Buchholz, Shane Victorino and Joe Blanton appear as if they played in the early 1980s.

I miss what baseball cards used to be and enjoyed this bit of nostalgia.

The one bad thing, however, is that it made me feel old. Out of curiosity, I wondered how many SoxandPhils on the teams' 40-man rosters were born in 1984 or later - 11 for the Sox, 10 for the Phils. I turned 7 that year.

There are just 11 Phillies and nine Red Sox who are older than me.

No comments: