Feb 17, 2009

Quality control

The MLB Network has remained on the basic FIOS package for the past two weeks. I still like the fledgling channel despite its glitches, most notably with its programming guide.

Last week, the network had a special weekend dedicated to big strikeout games. I tried to DVR Roger Clemens' 1986 20K game against the Mariners. Despite the buffoon the roider has become, I would still like to sit down and watch the game responsible for me becoming a Red Sox fan.

The first time I tried, it wound up recording one of Randy Johnson's old Mariners games halfway through. The next time, I got the beginning of a game - David Cone's 19 strikeouts against the Phillies on the last day of the 1991 season.

I was bored so I watched the first inning - pure cheese. In the broadcast booth for the Mets that day was Ralph Kiner and Frank Cashen, who was still the team's GM but would be fired in the offseason. Perhaps the ownership didn't like to hear their top personnel guy chuckle when their leadoff hitter loafed into second on the first play of the game.

I don't know if this was just a sign of the pre-Internet times or lack of preparedness by the Mets broadcast team, but when they were talking about Phillies catcher Doug Lindsey (never heard of him), Cashen could only guess that it was his first game because his batting average was .000. For the record, it was his only game of 1991. Lindsey would appear in two more games for the Phillies in 1993 and then two more that year after being traded to the Cubs. Christine wonders whether he is proud or sad if he ever happens upon this rebroadcast.

He was the top scrub in two lineups filled with them. For the Phillies: CF Braulio Castillo, PH Jim Lindeman and SS Kim Batiste led off. For the Mets, the double play combo says it all: Kevin Miller and Jeff Gardner. Needless to say, I won't sit through this whole game. {I disagree with calling Doug Lindsey the "top scrub" of the lineup. Most Phillies fans will forever remember the names in the lineup that day, whether they were scrubs or not. Hollins, Morandini, Jordan, Chamberlain - those names mean something to us.}

Other gaffes: Recently, I had the channel on when they were showing Mike Cameron's four home run game. Coming back from a commercial break, MLB's Hazel Mae noted how well the Mariners had rebounded from losing superstars, notably Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez. She called the trio surefire, first-ballot Hall of Famers. I hope that was taped before Slappy's steroid revelation.

And then, Barry Larkin made a huge error the other night. I've been annoyed by Larkin since the network debuted. He seems too attached to players with Reds' connection, especially Ken Griffey Jr. Larkin can't accept The Kid isn't 24 years old anymore.

But in a discussion of which player in history had the greatest rookie season, Larkin picked four, including Edinson Volquez' 2008. I was ready to blow my top, but Christine calmed me as she saw the other analysts about to correct him. Nope, they just chided him for picking four players when he was asked to pick one. Don't they have interns at MLB Network to make sure its talent doesn't perpetuate embarrassing mistakes?

No quality: Alex Rodriguez spoke today about his drug abuse. He's so delusional I can't even get my head around all the lies he is spinning. I hope he gets some help.

No comments: