Feb 13, 2009

He's still here?

Yes, Adam Eaton is still a Phillie. But probably not for much longer. Ruben Amaro has made it pretty clear he won't make the squad, and today Eaton made it pretty clear he'd rather take his chances trying to catch on with another organization than pitch for the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs again. Here's what he told Scott Lauber:

If we get to that point, I'll be released. And I don't think that's the end of the world by any means. It would be kind of prudent not to trade for me. I'm not going to accept another assignment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist for another GM to maybe wait and take your shot at getting me for less than a trade would be.

And, he's still delusional, according to Todd Zolecki's report:

I think the odds on favorite would be going somewhere else. But that is a good thing, too. This isn't the only place I can pitch. There's a lot more teams out there that need pitching. I hope to pitch well this spring, whether I make this team or some other team.

I guess, for Eaton's sake, I hope Philadelphia isn't the only place he can pitch because if it is, his career his over. But wherever he winds up, he's going to get a ring that he deserves only for being one of the Phillies' biggest free agent busts ever. And he plans to wear it.

Why wouldn't I? Obviously, a lot of people get them that didn't compete. But definitely if I were to win another one and I competed, I think that one would be more satisfying.

Ah, I'm going to miss Adam Eaton ... but only from a blogging standpoint, not from the point of view of someone who watches a ton of Phillies games.

Red Sox: When you've had your fill of Alex Rodriguez et al trying to cheat the game, there are stories of a 40-year-old with nothing to prove busting his hump during February agility drills. I'm not overly confident in what he will do on the field, but I think I will like having John Smoltz on the team.

2 comments:

Smoltzie's biggest fan said...

Don't you worry about Smoltz' ability. He's a competitor and in better phyical shape than most 25-year-old guys. It is going to be a great season.

Greg said...

I tend not to get too high on the insurance type guys Theo brings in for depth on the pitching staff.

From what I've seen so far with Smoltz, anything he does on the field is a bonus.

I've always admired his work and thought he would be a good fit in Boston.

I assume by your name you're a Smoltz fan who is now a Red Sox fan? If so, welcome.