Feb 27, 2009

Available: One really crappy pitcher

All day at work, I was stuck in a room with no access to the outside world. I came home with a headache and a feeling that I'd have nothing to write about.

But then I saw it finally happened.

The Phillies released one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history. Adam Eaton, one of this blog's favorite whipping boys, is no longer an andPhils. He better not become a Sox.

In a vacuum, the move is probably a year too late. But given the facts that the Phillies won the World Series last year and Eaton's quotes have been a staple for this site, I won't complain.

And, in true Adam Eaton style, he's going out with his usual delirious comments:

I know there's a lot still left in my arm. A blip, yeah. Yeah, it's two-year blip, but at the same time my career has been spanning since '97 coming into spring training. That's a decent percentage, but there's also a vast other percentage that's very successful. And that's what the Phillies saw when they signed me. I plan to return to that form, and with a few tweaks here and there it'll be there.

Actually, he's appeared in parts of nine major league seasons with only three 30+ start seasons. Only once has he had an ERA better than league average. Remind me again why the Phillies thought he was worth a three-year $24 million contract?

Oh, maybe I'm being too hard on him. He did lead the Phillies in quality starts before the 2008 All-Star break.

I got off to a relatively good start and had nothing to show for it. This day and age, it's what have you done for me lately. Regardless of leading the team in quality starts until the All-Star break, two starts later, three starts later, I'm cast off in the bullpen. Granted, there were a lot of horrible games in there, but there were some good ones, too.

Is it too late to get the Cy Young award back from Tim Lincecum?

No comments: