Feb 14, 2009

A spring in their steps

In the early part of spring training, everything is rosy, cheery and cheesy - unless your team is dealing with steroids and book controversies. Everybody is in the best shape of their lives, and every team is looking forward to a deep run into October - unless your team plays in Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Washington or some other desolate small market.

It's good to see that two of the heftier Phillies, Ryan Howard and Brett Myers, didn't get fat and lazy off their first World Championship; each lost more than 20 pounds this winter.

Myers:

Winning the World Series was great, but personally I had a bad taste in my mouth this winter because of how badly I pitched in the first half of the season. I needed to get in better shape so we don't have to fight to get into the playoffs the last three weeks.

I wanted to feel like I was in better shape and show my dedication to this team so I can go out and pitch better. I need to start stronger. I lost nine games in the first half. It would have made a big difference if I had pitched better.

How did Brett Myers lose 30 pounds in three months? Did he give up Cheetos? Switch to light beer? Not stay on the couch for hours on end playing video games?

I think Brett should offer the details in a book or video marketed as the Brett Myers World Series Weight Loss System. And maybe it could be a joint project with Ryan Howard:

I basically just wanted to come and get right. Not so much a target, but drop 10 pounds or so and see how I felt. And drop another 10 and see how I felt to get to a playing weight and feel good, feel light, feel fast, strong, and go from there.

Do you get the feeling that if one of them puts on five pounds during spring training that we'll be seeing a Phillies jazzercise class?

Red Sox: Everything is hunky dory. The lead story is how the new generation of young guns is following around Jon Lester, just as he tailed Josh Beckett in recent springs. And that Terry Francona loves baseball.

Yeah, it's chee-zy with a capital Z, but it sure beats being a Yankee fan when the big cause for excitement is that your veteran stars are going to attend the roiders news conference.

No comments: