Oct 14, 2009

On playoff eve, who's it gonna be?

With the Phillies and Dodgers ready to renew their LCS rivalry, it's time for Christine and me to renew our playoff predictions from the first round.

I went with my heart in the AL and was wrong on both counts. In the NL, I missed on the Dodgers and got only the Phillies right, predicting them to win in four.

Christine did a little better, only missing by picking the Cardinals over the Dodgers, but she did so thinking they would pose less of a fight for the Phillies in the LCS.

According to Rob Neyer, she may be right in that the Dodgers will be formidable. The stats guru picks the Dodgers in five, and he's backed up by Diamond Mind Baseball, which has the Dodgers winning 765 out of 1,000 simulations, most commonly in five games.

I haven't discussed this yet with Christine, but I'm pretty sure the SoxandPhils prognosticators will respectfully disagree with the numbers guy and computer.

I'll agree with Jimmy Rollins:

"You have to understand this team," shortstop and oracle Jimmy Rollins said as the champagne dried on his uniform Monday night in Denver. "We don't play this game to walk away at the beginning of October and say, 'Great season, see you in spring training.'"

I'll go with the Little Red Machine besting Dodger Blue in six. In the AL, the Yankees look different from their teams of recent years, but I think the Angels will pull it out in six.

Christine's picks:

Phillies vs. Dodgers: Phillies, no doubt.

Angels vs. Yankees: Angels. Because we all know by now that I picked the Angels and Phillies to meet up in the World Series.

Red Sox: How depressing. The Boston Globe's Extra Bases blog went 24 hours without an update - and that was just to run the postseason calendar.

Purely personal: We've had a tough time keeping catfish alive and happy lately, so we tried buying a pair of them instead of having just one in the tank. Christine and I couldn't decide whether they like each other - sometimes they swim together, but sometimes they stay on opposite ends of the tank.

"Maybe they're best friends/worst enemies, like teenage girls," she said.

"Oh-uh," I said. "I just named them."

(Usually when we name our fish it's a kiss of death.)

"Pedro and Jamie Moyer."

I just hope we don't have a repeat of last year's mess.

No comments: