Oct 10, 2009

Snowed out

So a year after the Phillies began their World Series clincher in a monsoon, they've been snowed out. Game 3 will be tomorrow at 10:07 p.m. and Game 4 will be sometime on Monday.

You know what that means ... shopping spree!

How were many players spending the day? Going to the mall.

"What else do you do when it's snowing outside?" Werth said.

Um, J-Dub, when it's snowing, I clear off our cars, go to work and then shovel the driveway when I get home. Christine says she stays inside, but usually she makes it to work.

With the delay, J.A. Happ gets Pedro Martinez's start. Cliff Lee will start Game 4, and I assume, as long as the wife allows him, that Cole Hamels would pitch Game 5, if necessary.

I was thinking this morning, how weird has this Pedro Martinez experience been? He's gone from an intriguing and perplexing signing, to extraneous, to dominant, to forgotten, to playoff starter and then back to "why the hell is he on this team again?"

Red Sox: I made it to the end of last night's game, a 4-1 loss to the Angels, even though it was nearly 1 a.m. and I had to work this morning. Josh Beckett looked like playoff Josh until the 7th inning. He was locked in a 1-1 pitcher's duel with Jered Weaver until then.

Five years ago, I woke up Oct. 17 devastated. The Red Sox were one game from elimination without registering a win in the ALCS. I had to work at the shore that morning and conceded the series to the Yankees.

Coincidentally, work brought me to the shore this morning. But I don't feel as devastated despite the similar predicament. It doesn't look good for the Sox, but they won the ALDS in 1999 and 2003 despite falling behind 0-2. I don't think they're going to pull this series out, but by no means am I giving up.

I say with certainty that their season will not end tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow's game, which starts at noon, it looks like Terry Francona is over his tummy ache and has graduated from bananas and saltines to large quantities of salted pork and caffeine. Ewww.

1 comment:

Matty said...

I agree. Sox won't pull off another miracle this time.