Oct 9, 2009

Recapping one Game 2, while waiting for another Game 2 to start

I know this game recap is a bit outdated, but we had a busy day yesterday and I needed something to do while waiting for the Red Sox to start Game 2 and hopefully even things up with the Angels.

In past years when we were headed to a playoff game, even though it wasn't my team, I could not concentrate on anything but the impending game.

This year, not so much. I couldn't decide whether it was because we decided to buy tickets at the last minute or because this is becoming old hat. I settled on the fact that last year was so perfect (how many three-day World Series clinchers can you attend in one lifetime?) that I didn't want to run those memories.

It turns out that despite the 5-4 loss to the Rockies, we had a good time and I don't think it soured my memories of 2008. Here's our day:

Christine and I joked that it was the Budweiser Clydesdales that pushed her over the edge when she was torn whether she wanted to pay a premium for marked-up playoff tickets.

I'm not so sure it was a joke.

She had her picture taken in front of the horseys, but after making her blog pictorial debut earlier in the week, I don't think she was ready for another.

Afterward, I spotted a guy wearing a Cubs jacket. I don't wear Red Sox garb while attending a Phillies playoff game - unless we get tickets to the SoxandPhils series.

John Kruk tossed the first pitch to Milt Thompson. ... Jarrod Spector of Jersey Boys sang the anthem. I don't remember it so it couldn't have been too bad. {Greg may not have been paying attention, but the crowd really enjoyed it.} ... The sweet smell of roasted nuts - not sold during the regular season - permeated the stands. ... When they broke out Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart in the 2nd inning, we thought the scoreboard guys weren't going to leave anything to chance, but then the music selection got really weak. They even broke out Bongo Cam at one point. But after Christine complained about it (to me) things picked up.

Before the 6th inning - the only frame featuring a Phillies rally - they started playing the pump-you-up montages. It started with a scene from Friday Night Lights followed by Welcome to the Jungle. In the later innings, they showed clips from Rocky II, Hoosiers and Miracle, with musical selections of the Rocky theme, more Crue, this time Wild Side, and something else that I neglected to write down in my notes.

In the 9th, it started with the apocalyptic Phillies montage followed by Are You Gonna Go My Way. Then, after a pitching change, they broke out Animal House and Rock and Roll.

But it was all for naught; not even the Phillies biggest cheerleader could rally the crowd. I think the playoffs require something a little better than the Phanatic in drag. Although, kudos to his umpire partner who lifted the big lug so the Phanatic could sit on his shoulders.

Our section was prominently featured on Phan-O-Vision all day. I first noticed it because a couple of rows in front of us were three women waving two signs: "Got Phillies Fever" "Trust Us, We're Nurses." ... The scoreboard might have caught me, but I didn't notice. I hope not because I was blowing my nose when it focused on a little girl dancing in the row in front of me.

We felt bad for the two children, the aforementioned dancing girl and a young infant, in front of us whose parents crammed into two seats. It was fairly cold in our section, which didn't get any sun. The baby was blue before they were seated and removed his jacket. ... Another big theme for signs was some variation of how it was "Werth it" to skip school for the playoffs.

J-Dub also got a Wayne's World style "We're not Werthy" from a couple of nearby fans. ... I couldn't believe how quickly the fans have turned on Cole Hamels and some of the other Phillies champions. One guy compared Chase Utley, who has never lit it up in the playoffs, to notorious October choker Alex Rodriguez. That guy, though, was an ass. Carlos Ruiz ended the Phillies lone rally by grounding into a double play on the first pitch. You'd think he was responsible for every little baby who has every cried and every little puppy with sad eyes. ... The guys in front of them were very loud, too. One guy kept standing up for no reason. But Christine liked him once the family with the chilly baby arrived and took his place as the most annoying fans in the section. ... Bunny Sigler sang God Bless America. He was well-received. I really liked his Phillies red suit he wore for the special occasion.

With just Paul Bako on the bench, I noted that Charlie Manuel had no one left to pinch-run for pinch-hitter Matt Stairs when he drew a 9th inning walk.

"Cliff Lee," Christine said, thinking of his stolen base on Wednesday.

"Hmm," I said. "That makes sense."

Sure enough, out he came. He took a really big lead as if he were going to steal again, but he stayed put and the Phillies couldn't drive him in.

Today's news: Pedro Martinez will start Saturday in the bitter cold; Cole Hamels had his boy, Caleb Michael Hamels; and Jamie Moyer has been in the hospital. (All in one Todd Zolecki post.)

Red Sox: They lost Game 1 to the Angels 5-0, but Jon Lester will be back for Game 4. Red Sox fans aren't too happy with CB Buckner. After some bad tacos, it's nothing but bananas and saltines for Terry Francona.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Gotta admit I'm a bit nervous. Although the Phils are clearly the better team, ANYTHING can happen in a 3 game series.....which is what this is now. And the Phils are notorious for not playing well in cold weather.

Phils have the best road record. Rockies have the best home record. Both teams were 1-2 in homeruns.

Could be interesting.

Red Sox.....miracle comeback? Ala 2004?

Greg said...

The playoffs are a crap shoot. I keep telling Christine that she got so lucky last year that the Phillies were never really challenged in any round of the playoffs.

Although I guess the 2007 regular season ended in a near must-win scenario.

Yeah, we're due. We haven't come back from 0-2 in a five-game series since 2003.