Oct 11, 2009

Let's go Angels (until the PhilsandAngels Series begins)

When Jonathan Papelbon trotted out in the 8th to clean up Billy Wagner's mess, I asked out loud whether this was when Pap's perfect playoff ERA would come to an end.

Christine was sitting next to me, but I was really talking to myself.

Juan Rivera, hitless in eight at-bats against Papelbon, singled in two runs, but the 0.00 ERA, and more importantly, the lead were still in tact.

The Red Sox tacked on a run in the bottom of the 8th, extending their lead to two runs, but Papelbon failed. Unbelievable. The fans booed. Papelbon was removed mid-inning. He was upset ... at himself:

These fans don't expect any more out of me than I do out of myself. You know, I think they get so accustomed to seeing me do what I do. And when I don't do what I do, I think it's kind of like, "Well, why didn't he do that?"

In the bottom of the 9th, Christine kept reminding me that I predicted the Red Sox season would not end today. I stood by that prediction through the inning - until the season ended with a 7-6 loss to the Angels and a first-round sweep.

{Sorry, Greg, for being so right on that prediction.}

Despite being eliminated before the Yankees for the first time since 2006, it was a decent season. Our expectations were higher, but being sour about a 95-win season is something only a Yankees fan would do. This wasn't our year, but we'll reload and be ready to compete in 2010.

Meanwhile, I congratulate and support (assuming the Yankees finish off the Twins) the Angels. They dominated us, and if they play the Empire, I hope they beat them just as soundly. But after that, they'll be the enemy again should they lock horns with the Phillies in the World Series.

Speaking of which ... SoxandPhils World Series in 2010!

I can't believe that I'm finishing this post, and it's still one hour until game time. I'm not going to make it - especially considering I dozed off when the Angels made a pitching change in the 8th inning of a game that started at noon.

At least Monday's game will be at a decent time - 4:07 p.m. or 6:07 p.m., depending on whether there is a Yankees-Twins game tomorrow. I'm hoping for the double header.

[Photo credit: Associated Press]

1 comment:

Matty said...

Ninth inning, up by 2.....gets the first two batters out, no one on base, 0-2 count on the third batter. Allows 3 runs.....UNBELIEVABLE !