Oct 17, 2009

Fresh coat of paint

Too often we focus on what could be instead of realizing the good things around us.

I'm guilty of this all the time, and I think many Phillies fans are doing so after yesterday's 2-1 loss.

Yes, it was a bitter pill to swallow, but it's not the end of the world. Cue the big man:

While disappointed, (Ryan) Howard kept an even temperament. That's a reason for his success - he doesn't allow his emotions to get the better of him.

"I am not going say it was a heartbreaking loss because a loss is a loss," he said. "We're still very confident, and we're now going back home."

I know the instinct is to say that Pedro Martinez's masterpiece should have yielded a win, sending the Phillies home with a 2-0 lead and in excellent position to secure a spot in a second consecutive World Series. But consider this: Don't you think Dodgers fans are saying, "Hey, we scored four runs off Cole Hamels in Game 1, we could be up 2-0?"

Fact is, the Phillies split the first two road games, effectively taking home field advantage away from the Dodgers. They are the defending World Champions, although, it's hard to tell that from the criticism Charlie Manuel is getting for pulling Pedro after seven innings yesterday. (Someone on my Red Sox e-mail list noted, "Somewhere, Grady Little is smiling.")

That reminded me of another conversation I had recently with a Red Sox fan who was upset with the first round sweep. He demanded they fire Terry Francona, cut David Ortiz and trade Jonathan Papelbon. Why? Because after winning 95 games this year and two World Championships in the last five, they couldn't win three more games?

I've noticed I've been a lot more mellow lately as a sports fan. I can't decide whether I'm losing interest or gaining perspective. Probably a bit of both. I love the game. I love the strategy. I love the mental mind games trying to decide whether it makes sense to trade Jonathan Papelbon - not out of scorn because of one blown save, but because it may improve the team for next year.

Sorry, I don't know how I got so diverted.

Point is, Phillies fans, relax. You had a great ride in 2008, and the sequel is by no means over. Big picture, your team has to go 7-5 to win its second straight championship. Charlie Manuel may be frustrating, mind-boggling and seemingly overmatched at times, but he has provided us great entertainment and that elusive title. And in a couple weeks he may hoist another trophy.

(Christine's of a similar mindset, but is worried about falling into the more pessimistic outlook because we have a whole rainy day to stew about it before Cliff Lee takes the mound tomorrow night.)

Oh yeah, the reason for that picture up top: Remember a few months ago, we noticed that the Phillies sign beyond centerfield needed a new coat of paint? Well, just as Pedro refreshed the ending of his brilliant career and a fresh outlook is needed after yesterday, the Phillies took care of that sign. I don't know exactly when, but we're pretty sure it was still cruddy for the last regular season game and repainted before the playoffs (we took the picture at our game last week).

Look back at 2008: On this day last year, the Phillies were waiting for the World Series while the Red Sox were heading to Tampa for Game 6. Our fish were in a bucket.

No comments: