Oct 18, 2009

LCS, past and present

The Yankees are breezing through the playoffs - but they haven't yet faced the Phillies - and have reminded me of the awful times before 2001 when the Evil Empire would win store-bought title after store-bought title.

I thought those days were long gone after Curt Schilling and Luis Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Curt again dealt them stunning defeats - not to mention the little blows by the Angels in 2002 and 2005, Tigers in 2006, Indians (with a pre-sellout CC Sabathia) in 2007, and Rays and Red Sox in 2008.

I thought the Yankees were dead and buried, but they seem to be rising up like Michael Myers - the vengeful sociopath, not the lefty pitcher.

After seeing the Yankees sweep the Twins and then take the first two games against the Angels, I fear the Yankees have rediscovered their championship-buying ability. Hopefully, Alex Rodriguez remembers he's a choker; Derek Jeter remembers he's overrated; and Mark Teixeira remembers that he was too wussy to play in Boston.

Hopefully, the Angels come back and the Phillies take care of business so I don't have to root for Joe Torre. I feel dirty just thinking about it.

All of this reminds me that today is the fifth anniversary of Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS. They showed it on MLB Network today, and it was fun watching David Ortiz end the game in the 14th to send the series back to New York and set up the bloody sock game.

I don't think I have to tell you know how that ended up, but Ellis Burks will in his as-told to Nick Cafardo account of the thrilling 2004 ALCS, appropriately titled "Not this time." I know I'm a Red Sox mark, but this had some great insight, including how the grizzled veteran motivated several players when hope was all but gone and how he jawed back at the stupid New York fans who thought it was their birthright to win the series.

Look back at 2008: The Red Sox were three runs away from a SoxandPhils World Series, but Big Papi and his mates couldn't reprise their 2004 mojo. I also made my first incorrect prediction of a 2009 SoxandPhils series.

Live for the moment: All right, Christine is reminding me that I'm wasting way too much time in cyberspace remembering the past when there is a game going on. So far, so good. The Phillies lead 8-0 in the 7th. Cliff Lee has given up three hits with six strikeouts. Ryan Howard helped his case for LCS MVP with three more RBIs. But no matter what he does, Christine prefers Carlos Ruiz, who is hitting .625 in the LCS.

No comments: