Oct 12, 2009

Monday morning recap

I didn't make it.

Greg fell asleep sometime after 12:30 this morning, but I was determined to watch the whole game. (We are both off today but had various early appointments, so while the game time was not ideal, it wasn't as bad as if we were working today.) I warned Greg that I was not responsible if my cheering or booing woke him up. He was willing to take that chance. [She was surprisingly quiet.]

But by the time the Phillies were ending their failed 8th inning rally, I was conking out. The injury to Scott Eyre and Ryan Madson's subsequent warming up in the 7th had really slowed down the pace of the game. And then Madson completely killed the timing - I never realized until last night how slowly he works, especially with men on base, and especially compared with the speedy Joe Blanton a few innings earlier.

So I turned off the TV not knowing the result of game 3 of the NLDS. Honestly, I was reluctant to find out the score this morning. I couldn't believe that Madson was pitching in the 7th inning - who was going to pitch late in the game if it were a save situation? The last thing I wanted to hear is that Brad Lidge blew yet another game.

Turns out, he tried to blow it, but the Phillies held on. Phillies 6, Rockies 5. It wasn't pretty, but they got it done.

Game 4 tonight, at a very reasonable 6:07 p.m. I expect we'll both be watching the end of this one.

3 comments:

Matty said...

I was on the edge of my seat....literally. And my heart was pounding....literally.

And that was just from seeing Lidge warming up in the bullpen.

Imagine how I was when he was actually pitching.

Thank goodness ( and not Lidge ) that they pulled this one out.

Greg said...

I bet it was just as nerve-wracking tonight.

Matty said...

No.....tonight was worse.

But now I can breath.