Oct 7, 2009

Dominant-Lee

I got in my car just in time to hear the last half inning of the Phillies game. Christine was able to leave a bit earlier and got home during the 7th inning.

We missed some game as Cliff Lee shut down the Rockies, 5-1, with a complete game that was a shutout for 8 2/3 innings.

I won't complain about the game time. I'll let Cole Hamels, who became the people's champ today, take up the cause:

Being the defending world champs, I think it's kind of a little weird that we kind of get both games at 2 o' clock. I don't think it's fair. I definitely don't think it's fair for the fans because this is all about the home-field advantage or just baseball in general.

Hopefully, Cole backs up those words with a gem of his own tomorrow. Christine and I changed our minds and StubHubbed some tickets. We couldn't bear not going to a single playoff game this year - especially the way this series started.

Making his playoff debut, Lee gave up just the one run on six hits with five strikeouts. He needed just 113 pitches in conditions that Jayson Werth called the second worst he ever played in in Philadelphia (besides that little bit of rain during Game 5 of the World Series). The entire lineup had a hit, including two each from the heart of the lineup. Lee became the fourth pitcher ever to steal a base during the playoffs. I'm very glad we had to beat CC Sabathia and not this guy in the 2007 ALCS.

As good as he looked on the mound, Lee sounded just as good in his post-game press conference with some good, but subtle, humor. I caught most of it on the radio, and Todd Zolecki recapped it, including the best line by a Phillie in a playoff game since Matt Stairs talked about pounding ass:

Lee on pitching in windy conditions. He was asked about getting blown off the mound: "Did I get blown off the mound? ... Oh, the wind. I thought you were talking about them stroking me."

We're 13 wins away from the SoxandPhils Series.

Red Sox: The roster's still not finalized, but it will be Paul Byrd over Manny Delcarmen for the final pitching spot. And sorry Phils fans, but you may have to see Terry Francona's mug on a bronze plaque in Cooperstown one day.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Onward march behind General Lee.

That was a masterpiece.

Greg said...

The General was in command today.