Oct 31, 2009

Deja vu

Today was eerily similar to Oct. 25, 2008, another Saturday in which a Phillies lefty, who used to be a sure thing but whose recent performance was concerning the fan base, was set to start Game 3 of a World Series in Philadelphia. Last year it was Jamie Moyer's gutsy performance. This year, it's Cole Hamels time to win back the doubters.

Personally, it was a similar day with lots of things to get done before game time. While running to a store today, I thought of last year's Game 3 because I was in the same store on that day.

Anyway, today we finished everything we had to do with time to spare before the game so we decided to use our Cold Stone coupon I've been saving for some pumpkin ice cream. The line wasn't too long, but it took forever as people took samples and got quarts upon quarts of ice cream. I don't think they got the concept of a specialty ice cream store.

Finally, when our turn arrived, the guy looks at Christine's jersey and asks what time the game starts.

"Twenty minutes," she said.

"OK, I'll hurry," he said. "Do you want it to go?"

Usually, we eat Cold Stone in the car, but we decided to drive home because we were cutting it close, but as soon as I turned on the car, Jim Jackson said the tarp was on the field. No need to go home before eating ice cream.

When we pulled up to the house, I said we should have just stayed in and watched Jamie Moyer's World Series game on DVD. Turns out, MLB Network had it on, so we watched a couple innings anyway while waiting for tonight's game to start.

Halloween observations: A little girl at Wawa complimented Christine's Phillies shirt. {I told her I liked her mermaid costume.} ... A guy outside the store said he was counting how many Phillies shirts he saw - he didn't give us a count. ... First trick-or-treater of the year (out of a whopping six we got all day) wore a Cole Hamels shirt. Very disappointing Halloween.

Game update: I'm not going to make the end of this one because it's a quasi work night for me. I'm sure I'll sense vibes from Christine whether the Phillies win.

So far, the Phillies lead 3-0 in the 4th, and Christine and I can't decide whether she has her psychic vibe going on.

In the 2nd, they were talking about a promotion in which $1 million would be donated to cancer research if a home run struck a sign in the outfield.

"Ryan Howard's going to cure cancer," I said.

"No, Jayson Werth is," Christine said.

Next pitch, J-Dub hits one to left about 20 feet from the sign.

She wants credit for calling that one; I disagree because she would have said that no matter who was up at the time of the discussion.

I said I would post the conversation on the blog and let SoxandPhils followers decide. She said to wait a minute because there would be more to write about. Sure enough, the Phillies added two more runs in the inning.

So far, so good for King Cole. He looked really good hitting Alex Rodriguez in the 2nd inning.

Look back at 2008: I suck. Yesterday, I forgot to remember that Phils win! Phils win! Phils win! I also forgot to remember our recap of what will probably be the one and only World Series clincher we'll ever attend. Yes, Christine, it really did happen. And, on Halloween, there was a parade, but we still had some outtakes from Game 5 to post.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Some random observations now that the game is over:

After getting behind 3-0, Pettite gets the win.

After going up 3-0, Hamels gets the loss.

After a lights out performance for 3 innings, the lights go out on Hamels.

Everyone knows A-Rod likes the ball up and out. Everyone also knows the book is to pitch him in. Hamels didn't get this message. After getting ahead 0-1 on, get this, an inside pitch, he goes up and out, leading to A-Rod going up and out.

Hamels throws a curve to an American League pitcher who hasn't batted all year. What were he and Ruiz thinking?

Of the 9 strikeouts by Phillies batters, 8 were swinging on a pitch, get this, down and out of the strike zone.

Every one of Howards strike outs....I've now lost count.....in the world series have been on breaking pitches. When is he going to get the message?

After Rollins walked on 4 pitches to force in a run in the 2nd inning, Victorino promptly swings at the first two pitches.......down and out of the strike zone. They both landed in the dirt. DUH?

All three Phillies homers were solo.

Every relief pitcher allowed a run.

Prior to the game, I told my son that A-Rod and Swisher would break out of their slumps this game. They did.

When they showed Meyers warming up in the bullpen, I told my son he would allow at least one run. He did.

Where is the hitting coach Milt Thompson? Doesn't he see the patterns? And is he telling the hitters these patterns. With 2 strikes, they're swinging at junk down and out, much of it in the dirt. The Yankee pitchers know this. Apparently, the Phillies batters, and Milt Thompson, don't.

Phils have to win game 4. If they don't, they won't win 3 straight.

Greg said...

Yeah, I can't believe how quickly Cole went from dominant to battered.

And, a win tonight makes last night's pain more tolerable, but even a loss tonight wouldn't be fatal - just pretty damned bad.