Oct 27, 2009

Bartender, give me a shot of that '09 vintage

Last year, on World Series Eve, I tried to explain how I felt. I'm not sure that I was able to capture the uniqueness of the moment, but here I am again. Trying again. Because the Phillies are in the World Series again! Woo-hoo!! Re-read that: The Phillies are in the World Series for the second year in a row.

As awesome as the playoffs and championship were last year, there was still a little part of me that was sad while it was happening. I knew there was only one time that I could experience my team breaking the championship drought and all of the frenzy that goes with it.

And the fact that I was at the game(s) where they actually won? Forget it. Those feelings could never be repeated.

(Speaking of, in today's look back at 2008, this was the first half of Game 5 of the World Series. No bubbly that night, just lots and lots of water.)

Ever since the Red Sox won again in 2007, Greg has explained that it just didn't seem quite as good the second time around. I could understand that, but for me, this year has been just as good, only in a completely different way from 2008.

The Phillies are the World F-in Champions. They saved us from having to hear about teams from 1980 and 1993. No players need to be vindicated. No failures, curses or other self-pitying stories need to be dredged up. This time, it's all about defending what belongs to them. Who cares that they're playing the Yankees? That team is just one last minor distraction that needs to be taken care of before the trophy can be paraded down Broad Street next week.

(And Greg, take a look at that picture up top. Remember that I'd like to expand my collection. It's the easiest present you can shop for this Christmas.)

Jimmy Rollins made his prediction. Phillies, could be six games, probably five. The man's been pretty accurate in the past. I like what he has to say. And now, for my last prediction of 2009:

Phillies vs. Yankees: Phillies, no doubt.

[Agreed.]

2 comments:

Matty said...

After the Phils take down the Bronx Bombers, I'll share a few glasses with you guys.

Christine said...

I hope we're all raising our glasses by Monday night.