Oct 30, 2009

On Halloween Eve

'Twas the night before Halloween and all through the park,
not a creature was stirring, the ballyard was dark.

After two games, the series was a knot,

Cliff Lee got a win, Pedro did not.

After a brilliant Game 1, we got too high,
But then A.J. took our heads right out of the sky.

Tomorrow's a new day, time for Hamels to shine,
Blanton will follow, then it's Cliff Lee - he's so fine.

The series may be tighter than a bunch of clamps,
But the Phillies will pull through like champs.

Sorry, I don't know what got into me. Anyway, it's Halloween Eve and there's not much happening as the World Series takes a break to travel from New York to Philly. They announced the Game 4 starters: Chad Gaudin and Joe Blanton.

I thought I'd indulge myself and share the stories of my two baseball-themed Halloween costumes from my childhood.

In 3rd grade, before I wised up to the evils in the world, I was still a semi-Yankees fan, so I went as my favorite player, Dave Winfield. I wore my Winfield T-shirt - it was a cheap giveaway from the stadium. I forget who the sponsor was, but I distinctly remember the No. 31 was way too small.

I didn't understand racism and couldn't understand why my mom wouldn't let me paint my face black. I just wanted to look like my favorite player. I settled for painting on a mustache.

A couple years later, I wanted something a little more creative, so my mom and I came up with the idea of a baseball card. Lots of people go as playing cards, but I never saw a baseball card. We went to a sporting goods store, but they had a weak selection of posters: Keith Hernandez, Eric Davis and someone else, possibly Dale Murphy.

I went with Eric the Red and spent the week painstakingly tracing the stats from his 1987 Topps baseball card for the back of my costume. It was a great costume; unfortunately, I don't think we have any pictures. I kept it hanging in my closet for quite a few years. I don't remember when I finally got rid of it.

If my Halloween tale didn't suffice, check out Doug Glanville's recent op-ed, in which he discusses trick-or-treating as a Phillie in North Jersey. It's a great piece and a rare occasion in which a player shows the "fan" side of himself. We here at SoxandPhils really like Glanville.

Happy Halloween - if a future Phillie shows up at your door, give him or her an extra treat.

[Photo credit: Cincinnati Reds Cards]

1 comment:

Matty said...

Nice little poem. Great article by Doug.

Here's to hoping Cole finds his groove in game 3.