Nov 1, 2009

Hoping for a series

As the Phillies steamrolled through the 2008 playoffs, I kept reminding Christine that it wasn't supposed to be this easy and that eventually the Phillies would have to win a tough series - one in which they lose more than one game.

I kind of wanted her to feel the pressure of a Game 6 or 7 because I know the Phillies have the personality to gut it out and those situations build character for teams and fans.

But I did not want that series to be against the Yankees. I wanted these Phillies, my second team by marriage, to squash the arrogant, over-paid, over-hyped Empire from my youth back into the ground.

Unfortunately, Cole Hamels coughed up a three-run lead last night and the Phillies trail a playoff series (2-1) for the first time since 2007. Since 2004, I hesitate to call any non-elimination game a must-win, but tonight is pretty close.

Joe Blanton vs. CC Sabathia. Christine likes to talk tough about the big guy the Phillies beat around in Game 2 of last year's NLDS, but in an honest moment, she'll admit she was nervous that he would have pitched Game 5 if the Phillies hadn't wrapped up the series against the Brewers in four games.

I sensed a loss before last night's game; I have no feeling for tonight. I think Heavy B may surprise, but that may be more hope than intuition.

Christine's mindset? A few weeks ago, she placed a Phillies sundae helmet on a stuffed animal (a hedgehog). The thing has sat on her dresser since the first round of the playoffs and, in one of her only bouts of superstition, has insisted it cannot be moved. (In full disclosure, I employed this animal similarly during the great comeback of 2004.) When I got home from work today, the hedgehog was placed on the downstairs couch - hopefully in a better position to place a hex on CC.

Sorry about the random thoughts, but I don't like the feeling I've had all day. I don't like that the odds are now in favor of the Yankees ending their championship drought and that if it does happen, the SoxandPhils will be the biggest culprits. I knew I'd live to see another Yankees championship, I just didn't think it could happen this soon and against this Phillies team.

Go Phils!

Red Sox mention: Singing the anthem tonight is Tech. Sgt. Jody Johnson, who grew up in Alaska dreaming of playing for the Red Sox.

"I think it's because my mom was such a fan," Johnson said of her mother, Sandra Goodwin of Soldotna.

She's a now a SoxandPhils fan, but her friends don't seem to understand that's possible.

She even admitted to having become a Phillies fan.

"I park in the lot with a big fat Red Sox sticker on my car," she said. "Now I'm teased, how I can sing for the Phillies and support the Sox?"

As though she needs justification, she said she's made the Phillies her National League team, though the Sox still hold a special place in her heart.

Cole's nuts: After blowing Game 3, he said he can't wait for the season to end, raising eyebrows from everyone - including Charlie Manuel. I had to drive a lot today. It was odd hearing everyone on the radio so down on him. People weren't this upset with Brad Lidge throughout the year.

1 comment:

Matty said...

Why does Manuel keep believing in Lidge, when Lidge keeps proving him wrong?

How does a major league pitcher get the first two batters out in the 9th inning, and then can't get anyone out?

Two outs, no one on base, and you allow 3 runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is completely and totally INEXCUSABLE!

I'm disgusted.