Nov 3, 2009

Some more deja vu

When the Red Sox trailed the 2004 ALCS 0-3, there was a feeling that the Yankees should finish off the sweep because once the Red Sox started winning, they would not stop.

Anybody getting a similar vibe from the Phillies after they held on to an 8-6 win last night to stave off elimination and send the series back to New York?

Yesterday, I heard Jayson Stark comparing these Phillies to the 2004 and 2007 Red Sox, which are two of 11 teams, according to David Murphy, to overcome 3-1 deficits in the playoffs.

J-Roll used an interesting analogy in this separate piece by Stark:

Maybe 24 hours from now, in a stadium up the Turnpike, the Yankees will find a way to kill this team off. But if we learned anything from Monday night at Citizens Bank Park, it won't be easy. Just ask the leadoff man.

"How hard is it to kill this team? Hopefully it's like trying to run over an armadillo," said Jimmy Rollins, after his team had lived to play another ballgame. "Just roll up and put our shells on. And after the car goes over us, we unfold and walk away."

Yesterday, everything seemed so bleak for those of us rooting for the Phillies, against the Yankees or both. I didn't concede, but struggled to remain positive even though the Red Sox have mounted similar comebacks from 1-3 holes three times in the last six postseasons, hence the feeling that I've been here before.

In 2004, I conceded after the Game 3 drubbing, but my friend talked me off the ledge by pointing out the pitching was lined up (Derek Lowe, Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling) to force a Game 7, which is basically a coin toss.

I was more confident in 2007, especially because we had a dominant Josh Beckett going in Game 5 and then home field advantage for Games 6 and 7.

Last year, I was nervous until we won Game 6. I thought there was no way the Red Sox would come back and force a Game 7 just to lose it - especially given their recent comebacks, Jon Lester was starting, and the Phillies were waiting for their blogmates in the World Series.

I was wrong.

Despite last year's example, I'm using similar logic for the Phillies. If Pedro Martinez can work his magic and the Phillies bats remember they're an elite offense against an old roider on short rest, there's no reason this series doesn't go seven games. If there is a Game 7, it will be all hands on deck and basically even odds whether good or evil prevails. But in this scenario, evil has a track record of choking, so there may be some intangible advantage for the champs.

Unless Cole Hamels really has quit.

Speaking of quitting: There's no quit-orino in Shane Victorino. He says he's playing tomorrow. I don't doubt it, especially given his reaction to being removed in the 8th inning last night - a truly funny moment. Great line about Shane by Mitch Williams today: "He won't build you a rocket, but he'll be the first one on it. He just wants to play."

Phinally: Johnny Damon is a jackass. I heard him say that this World Series is the highlight of his career. Good, value blowing a 3-1 lead more than being part of one of the most notable championships ever. I only mention to contrast what a class act Pedro Martinez is. He's a true SoxandPhil ... and 'Spo:

On whether it would surprise him to know Red Sox fans are pulling for him to beat the Yankees: "No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I know that they don't like the Yankees to win, not even in Nintendo games. And knowing that I am part of Boston, I consider myself a Bostonian, as well, too, I've been a Montrealer, a Bostonian, and now a New Yorker, and somehow, I might become a Philadelphian now. But I've only been there for a short period. It's something that's a work in progress. I'm pretty sure that every Boston fan out there can feel proud that I'm going to try to beat the Yankees, and I'm going to give just the same effort I always did for them. They're special fans, and they will always have my respect."

Thank you Pedro. Give 'em hell tomorrow.

[Photo credit: wlarmadillo.com]

No comments: