Mar 23, 2009

Thanks, big guy

It has been more than a year since I resigned myself to the fact that Curt Schilling's career was probably over.

Although, knowing his ego, I thought he'd make a comeback.

He did not.

The cartoon to the left pretty much sums up my feelings. He rode into Boston, welcomed all the pressure of the so-called curse and got the job done. Twice.

He probably had the most significant career from a Sox and Phils perspective of any player who was a member of both our teams. And, according to Rob Neyer, he should be a Hall of Famer.

In the afterglow of 2004, I e-mailed Curt to thank him for his efforts and to let him know the Red Sox championship helped me get through a rough obstacle in my life. I figured I was one of countless fans who e-mailed their stories to him. I didn't think he would even read it. But the next spring, Curt wrote to ask how I was doing.

I know he grates on people. I know he's a bit self-righteous and overblown. But his bond with the fans is rare in this age of self-absorbed athletes.

I'll always remember that little note he sent; it's tucked away with my memories of Curt's heroic 2004 and his tip of the cap in 2007.

On-field news: As expected, Kyle Kendrick was sent to the minors. But it happened today, much earlier than anyone thought it would happen. He took responsibility:

I'm not going to lie. I knew they [J.A. Happ and Chan Ho Park] were pitching good, and I had a couple games where I didn't pitch good. I knew what I needed to do, and I didn't do well, obviously. Those guys pitched good. But I know what it's going to take to get me back here. I thought about my options, what could happen. All the options kind of crossed my mind.

[Photo credit: Frank Galasso via Boston Dirt Dogs]

No comments: