Mar 18, 2009

Damn WBC

All day I was planning today's post about how Christine and I got sucked into watching the exciting end of last night's World Baseball Classic in which the United States put off its inevitable tournament loss with a 9th inning comeback against Puerto Rico.

I was going to talk about the SoxandPhils impact on the 9th inning - J.C. Romero pitched against Shane Victorino, who led off with a single, and Jimmy Rollins, who walked and later scored the winning run. Kevin Youkilis walked against another pitcher.

I even teased Christine that the post would be called "Mr. Met is Mr. Clutch" because David Wright might shed his choker reputation with the game-winning hit. Then we watched the players dog pile in celebration, nervously wondering which of our players would suffer a season-ending injury during the pandemonium.

Those fears were unfounded. It turns out Youk was already injured - three or four days ago - and decided to play the game even though he could barely walk afterward.

I guess it's too early to concede defeat for 2009, but I don't like what this stupid tournament is doing to my team. I hope the next victim of the WBC isn't J-Roll or Victorino.

8:24 update: Argh! Greg just told me that tonight's game is being played in the rain. Of course, both Victorino and J-Roll are in the lineup. We wouldn't want Derek Jeter to get hurt playing in the rain, would we? You better keep my guys safe, Davey Johnson.

No comments: