Mar 20, 2009

Injuries, injuries, injuries

If the 2009 Red Sox were a racehorse, it might be put down.

Every day, it seems we learn of a new injury. It's so bad that even writers from Minnesota are creating injuries for Jonathan Papelbon. Paps says he's fine, but he seems to be the type who would keep pitching even if his arm was about to fall off. I'm concerned.

Do you know who else plays through injuries? Kevin Youkilis. Christine spoke for herself last night when she said no more World Baseball Classic talk. I would not have made a promise if I had known about Youk's revelation. He wasn't injured during the WBC, he was injured weeks before it. That makes it all better. He just needs to shut it down and wear a boot for a few days. Lord knows this couldn't have been taken care of the past two weeks instead of playing meaningless exhibition games as if they mattered and then participating in a post-game celebratory melee.

I'll ignore the joke and blame Derek Jeter:

"Dog-piling and running around, having so much fun doing that, I think that was probably not the brightest idea," Youkilis said. "But you know when you have your adrenaline up you can do a lot of things. Not a great decision on my part to participate in dog-piling, running around and jumping around. Probably didn't help it at all. But like I said, it had nothing to do with all of that. Derek Jeter kind of grabbed at my ankle, and twisted it."

(OK, yes, Youkilis was joking in that last part.)

Just when I thought I had a handle on the injuries, there comes good news: J.D. Drew's X-rays were negative. What? When did he get injured? Oh, today, he was hit on the hand.

Every team has its share of injuries. I think we've had our fill before the season has even started.

No comments: