Mar 8, 2009

Read it here first

Who is going to win the big game?

Is it the Red Sox?

Phillies?

How about team USA or Venezuela? South Africa or Cuba? Panama or the Dominican Republic?

I'm going with Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers. Kurt Warner and the Cardinals will keep it close, perhaps teasing an upset late in the fourth quarter, but look for Pittsburgh to snatch the win in the final seconds.

What am I talking about? Well, Christine and I had a nice chuckle when we got home yesterday and found this in our mailbox:


Which antiquated institution, the newspaper industry or the United States Postal Service, is responsible for me getting my big Super Bowl preview issue of Sports Weekly more than a month late? As much as I'd like to blame my former employer, this one probably is the federal government's fault.

Well, at least I got to read the Red Sox organizational report. The team is a little weak at catcher, but "the door isn't closed on the possible return of free-agent Jason Varitek." And in right field, should J.D. Drew miss time, there are better back-up options this year, such as Mark Kotsay who "is available from the start of the season." Oops.

The football scribes were split in their predictions (4-4) between the Steelers and Cardinals. Two came close to predicting the final score (27-23), but both Jim Corbett (27-24) and Jarrett Bell (27-20) had the Cardinals winning.

No one picked Santonio Holmes for MVP.

Maybe next week I'll get a newspaper finally telling me who won Game 5 of the World Series. I have a good feeling about that one.

No comments: