Mar 13, 2009

You're welcome, Pat


I'm a Red Sox fan. I never really liked Pat Burrell other than the comedy he provided with what Christine and I called the Pat Burrell face - a frozen look after a strikeout where he looked at his bat like he had no idea what that piece of wood was doing in his hands. Oh yeah, and because he often took his bulldog, Elvis, to the park.

For some reason, maybe because our seats last year were near Pat's biggest fan, I became a Pat Burrell fan. I even led the charge to get him voted on the All-Star team. (He deserved it at the time, before sputtering in the second half.)

Sometimes a team makes a move that the fans think is wrong at the time (see: Blanton, Joe) but later works out. Maybe signing an older and inferior hitter for more money will make sense one day, but it doesn't yet.

I plan to just stand by what I wrote in October (until Pat does something to help the Rays beat the Red Sox):

In the bottom of the 7th, Pat Burrell led off. I've stuck up for him a lot this season, but said no more if he didn't come through with a hit. But I was confident and he ended up nearly homering, but he would up with a double. Eric Bruntlett came out to pinch-run, probably ending Pat the Bat's Philly days. Bruntlett advanced on a groundout and scored on a single by Pedro Feliz.

[Photo credit: The Fightins]

No comments: