Mar 14, 2009

Injured second basemen

I was in another room while Christine was catching up online on the day's news. She excitedly told me that Robinson Cano is injured. I saw the headline earlier, but didn't pay much attention. It's too early for me to pay attention to these things, and Robinson Cano is pretty much irrelevant. There's only two second basemen who matter to this blog: Dustin MVPedroia and Chase "World ----ing Champion" Utley.

But being a Yankee hater, I couldn't help but snicker inside. That bit me in the behind when I read that Dustin Pedroia was injured during the World Baseball Classic. He says it's not serious, and reports are uncertain whether he will continue to play in the tournament. I don't care if Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman proclaims him 100 percent, he should be done with this stupid tournament.

Ironically, I've been putting off a post all week about how I've actually watched and enjoyed the WBC this year. No more. Not if it means the Red Sox could be without their heart and soul because of a meaningless exhibition. Next time, send the Pedro Martinezes, Rudy Seanezes and Eric Gagnes of the world to play in this thing. Keep the players who matter with their real teams.

Chase Utley escaped injury when he played in the first WBC, but was injured during legitimate play last season. He returned today for a minor league spring training game.

No comments: