Mar 31, 2009

I really saw this coming

As predicted on this very blog, Geoff Jenkins beat out last year's playoff hero Matt Stairs for the role of mediocre left-handed backup outfielder. Also as predicted here, Chan Ho Park has no business opening a season in a starting rotation unless we're still in 2001.

Oops, maybe I was wrong. There's another reason you shouldn't bet your dwindling 401(k) on my predictions.

In a surprise move that will cost them $8 million, the Phillies cut Jenkins, fueling speculation that Gary Sheffield, released today by the Tigers, could wind up in Philadelphia. I don't think the Phillies - despite their longing for a right-handed bat - would take a chance on Sheffield's character, nor do I think Sheffield would come to Philly, where he would be relegated to pinch hitting. Either way, I think Matt Stairs has a job with the defending World Champions.

Christine isn't so sure, even though unnamed sources say there's only a "very slim" chance that Sheffield will be a Phillie. She thinks it's suspicious that two surprise cuts - Jenkins and Sheffield - happened so close together. And, she is worried about taking on Sheffield's bad attitude when the team already jettisoned another good-hit, no-field, right-handed bat who happened to be a good clubhouse guy.

I predict Sheffield will find another home, but you've just read how well I predict. Park is "happy" that my fifth starter prediction was wrong; J.A. Happ isn't.

No comments: