Apr 29, 2008

Happy anniversary

The other day in the mall, Christine spotted a family - the father had a Chase Utley shirt on while his boys wore Red Sox hats. "They're just as screwed up as our family," she said.

"Nah," I replied. "They're just products of '04."

I smiled, thinking these two young boys were like the legions who became Bulls fans in the 1980s. My seminal Red Sox moment occurred 22 years ago today. Here's the story.

Although he's turned out to be the biggest ass in baseball, I can never forget that without Roger Clemens striking out 20 on my ninth birthday, I would be rooting for some other team like the Blue Jays, and then Christine and I would really have problems.

I know, I have to finish this series and induct the roider into my Hall of Fame of antiquated Red Sox garb, but it's hard to find the time and right mix of emotion.

No comments: