Jan 22, 2008

Antiquated Red Sox garb I

The other day I posted a picture of my Mo Vaughn T-shirt. To Christine's embarrassment, I still wear it and others of former Sox. {The embarrassment is not just over the players, but also the conditions of the shirts.}
I don't care that many, like this guy, criticize people like me who continue to wear outdated garb. Why should I black out a portion of history just because a player moved on?
Though I must admit, I do chuckle when I spot someone wearing an old Jim Eisenreich or Ricky Bottalico shirt in the park.
In this light, I will occasionally highlight a shirt that I still wear featuring a former Sox.
The first one is Nomar. It's amazing how ambivalent I have become to Mr. Hamm. He was the guy during his years in Boston. Some had argued he was reaching Ted Williams, Larry Bird or Bobby Orr status. He was amazing to watch, underrated in the discussions of the big three shortstops (Nomar/Slappy/Jeter), and although he couldn't lift the team over the hump in the playoffs, he truly seemed to care.
Until 2004.
His moping and declining defense were a drag on the team, and Nomar became an impediment for a championship. When he was dealt, I was in shock. Mostly because all we got for him was Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz. And we even had to kick in a mid-grade prospect.
But in the end, Theo was right, and the deal was about trading for a championship, not getting value equal to what Nomar used to be.
Funny, Christine and I used to argue about who was better: Nomar or Scotty Rolen - the 1997 Rookies of the Year who seemed to have a shot at the Hall of Fame. Funny, we were both wrong.
Phillies' writer
Q I hear that the Daily News is looking for a Phillies writer. What's going on?
Bill , Secane 01/22/08
A The paper just hired Dave Murphy out of the St. Pete Times. He lived as a teen in Doylestown and went to La Salle. The People Paper was in a pickle. At the end of last season, Marcus Hayes begged off the beat after six years. Then, Steve King got the job. But King is leaving the paper for personal reasons and is moving away. I hear that Murphy will not even come north before spring training.
Michael Klein

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wore my Aaron Rowand T-shirt the other day.

Greg said...

What's the reaction going to be for him next year? He had over-valued himself, then went to a team that has no chance for only a little more than the Phils were offering. He's over-rated, but played his hand poorly.

And, I'm just hoping I don't add a centerfielder to the list. I got an Ellsbury World Series shirt. Hopefully it's still in date this season.