Jan 13, 2008

Hall of Fame III

Yesterday I looked at the future of Red Sox and Phillies in the Hall, today I'll look at those already enshrined.

According to the Hall of Fame's database, which may not be totally accurate since it didn't list Tom Yawkey as a Red Sox, there are 36 Hall of Famers with Red Sox connections, and 34 connected to the Phillies. But with those listed primarily as SoxPhils, only eight are Sox to 11 for the Phils. Surprised me too.

Anyhoo... here's my favorites:
Red Sox
1. Ted Williams
2. Carl Yaztremski
3. Jimmie Foxx
4. Wade Boggs
5. Cy Young

No doubt about Ted. Love the enigma of his character, his confidence and his hitting. Jimmy Foxx -- a little personal, if I ever needed a pseudonym it would be a variation of his. More on him later. Just missing the cut: Bobby Doerr, Carlton Fisk and Tris Speaker.

Phils:
1. Mike Schmidt
2. Steve Carlton
3. Richie Ashburn
4. Grover Alexander
5. Robin Roberts
Not much personal connection. Pretty much how I think most Phils fans would pick 'em.

{C: When Greg asked for my favorites, I immediately asked if I could include Harry Kalas. He doesn't have a plaque in the main hall, he's just in the broadcaster's section, but if he did count, I think he would be battling for the No. 1 spot.}

Those who played for both:
1. Jimmie Foxx
2. Hugh Duffy
3. Fergie Jenkins
4. Tony Perez
5. Bucky Harris

Not a great list. Foxx finished his career for the Phils -- surprised me. Tony Perez shouldn't be in the hall. And Bucky Harris managed each team for one season.
Most surprising names on either list:
1. Sparky Anderson -- played one full season for the Phils.
2. Casey Stengel -- played a few for the Phils.
3. Nap Lajoie -- started his career (5 years) with the Phils.
4. Jimmie Foxx -- the Phillies portion anyway.

Favorite names that pop up but really shouldn't count.
1. Ryne Sandberg
2. Tom Seaver

Well, hopefully in the future years we'll see some additions: Pedro, Manny, Curt, Chase Utley and J-Roll.
ETC. Very interesting piece in the Globe today about NBA and SoxPhils star Gene Conley. I didn't know too much about him, other than he played basketball and pitched for the Red Sox. Apparently he was traded from the Phils to the Sox. Good read.

No comments: