Jan 3, 2008

Feel those Goosebumps

Something Santa left under the tree for Christine was GOOSEBUMPS, the story of how the Phillies managed not to blow it in '07.

I enjoyed reliving the season, but noted two glaring omissions:

1. The first franchise to reach 10,000 losses. We were there -- thanks to Brian. I still have the scorecard.

2. Another fateful Adam Eaton loss, his last of the year on the season's final Saturday. See, the day before the Phils took their first division lead -- one game over the Mets. On Saturday, Eaton again made Christine cringe, tying things up heading into the final game.

But on the video, hosted by J-Roll, Saturday never happened. The Phils took their first lead of the year on the Friday, which meant on Sunday a win and a Mets loss would give them the division. The same was true for Saturday if not for Eaton and the Mets winning a rare September game.

I had GOOSEBUMPS Sunday -- that's the name of the DVD, and the Phils slogan in 2007. They finally had a fitting one after years of losers like "Bring it On" for the 65-97 2000 edition managed by Terry Francona who was still learning to be a World Series genius {note from Christine: this grandiose way of thinking is one of the reasons why I don't like the Red Sox} and another favorite "Real Grass. Real Fun" to celebrate moving from the Vet to the new park, which still lacks a decent nickname.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've still not heard back from the official scorekeeper in re my protest of Shane Victorino's single, which was recorded officially as an error.

Also, I don't think I realized that was Michael Bourne's first major-league homer... now that's history!

Greg said...

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It was an error. And on Bourne, send a copy of that scorecard to Ed Wade c/o the tree.

That'll now rank with my scorecard to Hensley Meulins debut. He was a touted prospect with the Empire in '89 who flamed out big time. I saved the scorecard because I got a Rick Cerone autograph on it by waiting for players to file out afterward.

Unknown said...

It was a hit. Shane Victorino's super-speed forced an errant throw. He'd have beat it out.

Ah, yes, remember "Bam Bam" fondly. I think his Donruss card was swell.