Jan 27, 2008

No football today ...

... but that doesn't mean it's not on my mind.



I still haven't picked up my jaw after Lawrence Tynes' overtime field goal salvaged his career and made the Giants a surprise entry in the Super Bowl against the team that perfectly met expectations to get there.

I've said it before, I'm torn. The Giants are the only New York/New Jersey team that I didn't reject in my youth. And rooting for the Red Sox has made me root for the Patriots as well. Usually I would prefer the Giants in this match-up because the Patriots have won so many championships recently. But the chance for history and shutting up the '72 Dolphins also has appeal.

One thing I've wondered is whom my neighbors in Philadelphia should be rooting against: their hated New York rivals or New England, which has become home of the champions, the opposite of Philly.

The Inquirer tackled this issue today with dueling columnists debating whether to hate the Giants or the Patriots. (Frank Fitzpatrick, still on his anti-local kick, says Philadelphians hate themselves.) Neither swayed me to either side. Here's how I would handicap it for a hometown Philly fan.

Giants: Underdog playing with heart. No really obnoxious players. But it's a hated division rival and on paper the Giants aren't much better than the Eagles.

Patriots: Ruined the Super Bowl a few years ago, plus the jealousy that comes along with winning.

My head says Philly will be rooting more for the Patriots, but I'm probably underestimating championship envy.

Back to baseball: TROTTTTTTTTT!!!! That's what I screamed when Trot hit a game-ending home run in game 3 of the 2003 ALDS against Oakland. It averted elimination and paved the way for a dramatic comeback. Grady Little then gave the league championship to the drug-infested Empire, but that was a fun run.

Anyhoo, he's still looking for work and did a Q&A with the Globe.

And: Looks like re-signing Doug Mirabelli may have forced former Phil Mike Lieberthal into retirement. He says he wants to get into broadcasting. I don't know how he'd do in the booth, but I fully endorse him to replace Wheels.

No comments: