Jan 19, 2008

Through the years

Yesterday's post got me thinking. Growing up, 1986 was always the year for me. Being sort of young and not living in Boston, I don't remember much, but I've felt close to that team from reading lots of books.

But now that we're entering a dynasty of Red Sox baseball, I've been treated to some great years, so where does that first exciting year for me and the Sox now rank? Here's my top 5:

5) 1986: The year it all started for me. Even though Game 6 will be forever etched in history - though somewhat less thanks to '04 - the better team did ultimately prevail.

4) 1990: Sneaks ahead of 1986 for two reasons - the team cobbled together was a surprise division champion. The race went down to the wire and ended with a Tom Brunansky catch hidden in the corner that even I, a blatant Red Sox apologist, still can't say 100% that he made. And huge bonus points for the Empire finishing dead last. Got to love Andy Hawkins, Tim Leary and Mel Hall.

3) 2003: Yes, it ended painfully. But it was the year that proved '04 was possible. The team didn't back down. It came back from 0-2 against Oakland. And it ended the "mystique and aura" of the Empire, even though was shot in the foot by Grady Gump.

2) 2007: The year the Sox won a World Series without all the extraneous crap. It had a young nucleus that shows the promise of repeat that the '04 squad didn't quite have. Plus bonus points for the Phils actually winning, but that's really for another list.

1) 2004: No doubt. Curt's heroics. Ends the "curse." Humiliates the Empire. Can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Honorable mentions:

1988: "Morgan's magic" rallied the team from a slow start to division champs where they began a habit of losing to the A's in the playoffs.

1995: The last division champs until 2007. And Clemens' last clean year and another 20 K game.

1999: The first glimpse of the Sox as a gutsy playoff team. Rallied from 0-2 against Cleveland. Pedro proved legendary in the All-Star game and playoffs.

I'd rank the Phils years, but other than 2007 and 1993, I really don't have much to go on. (I was rooting for the Phillies in 1993, but I had no connection to them then, just an anti-Blue Jay thing.)

No comments: