Apr 14, 2008

Sleep deprivation

In recent years I've grown accustomed to missing sleep in October (except for most of 2005 and all of 2006). This year, April has been a bugger, too.

First there were the crack-of-dawn risings to watch the Japan games. Now, it's the Yankees. Last night - despite the game and series wins - was awful. Daisuke Matsuzaka decided to play "how many guys can I walk while still getting a win?" and the game dragged even for Yankees-Red Sox standards.

Gordon Edes pointed out this nugget:

It took 2 hours and 10 minutes for the Royals to beat the Twins 5-1 this afternoon. We're 7 minutes shy of 2 hours (10:04) since tonight's first pitch, and we're in the bottom of the third.

I finished watching the game in bed and was starting to nod off in the ninth. When they went to commercial for a ninth-inning pitching change, I fell asleep. I woke up at 12:08 a.m., mad because I didn't know for sure whether they held on to win. Instead of trying to stay up and catch the ticker, I reasoned with myself that if they blew the lead, the game would still be going on. Combined with the long, cold Phillies game, it was a wearing day.

Hopefully the Red Sox can quickly dispatch the Indians tonight so I can catch up on some sleep. (They're on ESPN tonight and Wednesday.) I'm going to have to be rested for a long Sunday, which requires a morning drive to North Jersey for my niece's communion and then back to Philly for a night game against the Mets.

No comments: