Apr 3, 2008

They should have pitched to Howard, or at least to Werth

I used to love business-person specials because they gave me the chance to watch most of a game before going to work at night. But now that I'm a daytime cube dweller, I hate 'em. I want to enjoy the games on TV or in person, not through periodic updates on Yahoo.

But today's game ... that would have been brutal. It was wrenching enough checking the box score on the computer. I think I may have drove Greg crazy if we were watching it.

So many things to process: Jamie Moyer's awful first inning. Fourteen men left on base. Four errors. Pinch-running Adam Eaton. Only one player left (Tim Lahey) at the end of the game.

Neither Greg nor I can remember back-to-back intentional walks to load the bases, let alone back-to-back intentional walks twice in one game to the same batters. Greg said he doesn't recall it happening with David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, and they would be an obvious choice for this scenario. So that's either some crazy respect for Chase Utley and Ryan Howard, or the Nationals must think very poorly of Jayson Werth.

Luckily, Werth didn't even swing at a pitch in the 10th, and four balls later, Phils won, 8-7.

However, I have to question the events leading up to this situation - using Eaton as a pinch runner for Pat Burrell in the 7th. At this point, the Phillies were ahead 7-6. Howard was on third and Burrell was on second with no outs. So why run with Eaton? If there is any kind of base hit, Howard is going to score to make it 8-6. Even if there is a play at the plate and Burrell is thrown out, they're still up by two runs. I know the Phillies need to score as much as possible, but I think they needed Burrell's bat more in the 8th inning. Like many of Charlie Manuel's decisions, it just doesn't quite make sense, but it worked out in the end.

Thankfully, the Phillies avoided a third consecutive 0-3 start. 1-2 sounds so much better. On to Cincinnati and hopefully a .500 record by tomorrow night. Today's game, without a doubt, is the turning point of the season. I proclaim this probably about 50 times during a season.

Alternate uniforms: I've always liked that the Phillies had only two jerseys, home and away. None of this batting practice jersey stuff in games. I reluctantly accepted the interleague hats that were worn for only a handful of games a year. I'm still undecided on the new day uniforms. They look sharp, but I was afraid that if the Phils lost today, they might be cursed like the blue hats of 1994.

Intro music: Pat Burrell is to blame for our obsession with this one. Holy Diver? Really?? So disappointed when he switched songs last year. Anyone know if he's still using Don Henley?

Anyway, when I left work today, WXPN was playing a list of songs that are used by ballplayers for their introduction. I heard only one song - Sal Fasano comes out to Jimi Hendrix - but the station had a link to this list of songs. Some of these are accurate, at least for the Phillies, but I kind of doubt that Manny comes out to the Final Countdown by Europe.

[You have to doubt any list that still lists Keith Foulke, Brendan Donnelly and Eric Gagne as Sox.]

Why I'm not cut out to be a blogger: I can only wish that I would have come up with these recent gems.

From Chamomiles Davis on Deadspin: The girl who loved Tom Gordon just called and said she hates him now.

From D-Mac on Philadelphia WillDo: Bottom seventh, still. Adam Eaton just gave up 2 runs while standing on second.

Finally: Bigger ballpark danger, hawks or hot dogs?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I said the same thing in re this being the first turning point of many. Here's my logic for this one: The boys know they'd have lost us if they started 0-3, and things were heading that way, but they knuckled down and got the win.

Christine said...

I wouldn't have been happy if they lost, but I don't think I would have written them off after three games. Especially after their comeback last year.

Four games against the Reds should help the record. In Adam Eaton we trust??