Jan 18, 2010

Two former Red Sox flops back in the news

Two players who are among the most reviled Red Sox free agent signings in the 1990s have been in the news recently for slightly different reasons.

Jack Clark, who in retrospect is probably one of the last untainted sluggers, called out Mark McGwire and the rest of the roiders in a story in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

"A lot of them should be banned from baseball, including Mark McGwire," Clark said. "All those guys are cheaters —A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez). Fake, phony. Rafael Palmeiro. Fake, a phony.

"(Roger) Clemens, (Barry) Bonds. (Sammy) Sosa. Fakes. Phonies. They don't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

"They should all be in the Hall of Shame. They can afford to build it. They've all got so much money. And they could all go there and talk about the next way to rub something on your skin. The whole thing is creepy. "They're all creeps. All these guys have been liars," Clark said.

Amen. Jack the Ripper, you might not have had the greatest career, but at least you're at peace knowing you did the best you could without cheating. He says it best:

"I'd rather take my 340 home runs (11 seasons of more than 20) legitimately instead of taking that stuff to be phony."

Meanwhile, Jose Offerman, who less than three years ago attacked former Phillie Matt Beech with a baseball bat, has punched an umpire in the winter league:

Offerman, manager of the Licey Tigers, appeared to hit first base umpire Daniel Rayburn in the face or neck with his fist during a heated discussion in a game against the Cibao Giants. Rayburn fell to the ground.

I have nothing to add. I just hope that Rayburn isn't hurt as badly by Offerman as John Nathans was.

J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets: I often acknowledge that I tend to be a fair-weather football fan. I may be biased, but I think it's OK to be fickle as long as you never pretend to be devoted to a team and acknowledge that you are fair-weathered. But I usually root against three teams - Cowboys, Jets and Eagles - so I can't believe I was getting sucked into the Jets last night, even though they cemented another woeful weekend of predictions: 1-3 this time.

No comments: