Jan 2, 2010

More anniversary

SoxandPhils isn't the only revolutionary baseball medium celebrating an anniversary this week. MLB Network launched last year on New Year's Day. I can't believe it's been just one year because I can't remember life without it. It's easily the most-watched channel in our house (except maybe during the actual season when the Phillies games are on Comcast).

I can empathize with those in North Jersey who suddenly lost the Food Network and HGTV because Cablevision dropped the ball. I am a big fan of Alton Brown, Ace of Cakes, Unwrapped and pretty much anything on the food channel, but I would be utterly devastated if FIOS got rid of MLB.

Where else can you catch a random game from 1970 between the Pirates and Expos featuring Boots Day? How about an hour-long retrospective on one of my favorite seasons, 1986? Or how about the current marathon of 2009 playoff games? Well, we can do without that last one.

The other day, Christine finally got around to starting her Harry Kalas book. When she was telling me why she was disappointed with it, MLB Network was on in the background running a bunch of highlights from the regular season. Sure enough, Harry's delightful voice came on describing how the Phillies scored eight runs in the 7th inning to beat the Braves 12-11 on April 8.

It's like the network is so ingrained that it joined our conversation.

But it also reminds us of things we may not want to remember. This morning, Game 3 of the ALDS was on. I watched a little bit of Clay Buchholz against the Angels. I knew the Red Sox would lose, but I didn't mind watching, until I stepped a way for a little bit and came back in the 6th inning when the Angels were trailing 5-1 and threatening to score. That's when I remembered how badly the Red Sox blew that game and switched the channel to Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee.

One beef: I'm tired of every channel's ticker, particularly MLB, labeling every little transaction as a huge exclusive. It's one thing to credit the reporter who breaks a huge story such as the Roy Halladay trade, but it's another to say Jon Heyman reports the Phillies sign Danys Baez, Peter Gammons reports the Mets still stink or Todd Zolecki reports the Phanatic scratched his butt.

Routine matters should not be attributed to a reporter.

Carry on.

No comments: