Jan 26, 2010

Old guys with bum ankles

When we watched Brett Favre gut it out on an injured ankle on Sunday, Christine made some derogatory remarks about putting ketchup on a sock or something. I have no idea what she was talking about, but watching the old guy reminded me of Curt Schilling in the 2004 ALCS. (Although Curt didn't choke like Favre did.)

Then, I learned that Schilling might be pulling a Favre:

The following post just came across Curt Schilling's official Twitter page:

"Working out again...not sure I can add anything to that other than I feel it in every fiber of my being, every step I take..."

John Tomase, the Boston Herald's diligent reporter, followed up with him:

"Just working out," he said.

So no plans to come back?

"Nope," he said.

OK, guess that settles that, then.

So, we don't have to worry about Schilling rumors as we spend the next several months discussing whether Favre will make his umpteenth comeback.

More retirement: Mark Loretta, a Red Sox in 2006, has retired and will join Jed Hoyer in the Padres front office. He played well in his year with the Red Sox, but his stint in Boston probably wouldn't merit a mention here except for the fact that his Chris Berman nickname - Mark "Get Back" Loretta - has become a running joke for Christine and me.

Congrats, Chuck: As a Yankee hater who has gone from obese to slim, I don't know whether I'm more proud of Charlie Manuel for saying the Phillies "owe the Yankees one" or for taking care of his health. (He's looking quite dapper.)

No comments: