Jan 27, 2010

Hats off to the Hall

The Hall of Fame has decided that Andre Dawson should be immortalized wearing an Expos cap instead of a Red Sox hat. Dawson threw a hissy fit because he wanted to wear a Cubs hat.

Red Sox angle aside, I can't believe that the first player to truly complain about the Hall's cap policy would be a player who is highly regarded for his character. Everyone thought it would be a money-grubbing player, acting like a jilted lover against a former team. OK, everyone thought it would have been Wade Boggs or Roger Clemens looking to get even with the Red Sox.

But, no, it's Andre Dawson - a player who should be grateful that voters overlooked his measly on-base percentage to allow him to enter. He seems more concerned about the extra money he could get by being enshrined as a Cub. He is even considering wearing a Cubs hat at his induction instead of the classically cheesy red, white and blue old-school Montreal logo:

"To be honest with you, I thought about that," he said. "It was a tough night for me sleeping [Tuesday]. I slept better the night before the announcement than I did after I got the decision last night, as odd as that might sound.

"I don't want to do anything that might be an embarrassment to someone or show someone up, that's not my character. But there will be some way I will try to acknowledge the Cubs fans to show just how important they were to me. I did think about at some point in time during the speech putting a Cubs cap on, but I don't know if that's appropriate."

You'd think he'd be prouder to be the second - and possibly last, depending on what happens with Tim Raines and Vladimir Guerrero - member of the Expos contingency in the Hall of Fame. Regretfully, he is not.

Also, Dawson said he hasn't heard from Chicago's most famous baseball fan (President Obama, not Steve Bartman) "probably because he's a White Sox fan." No, probably because the prez is a Sarge (Gary Matthews) fan.

No comments: