Jan 3, 2010

Classic

Last night we were flipping around the TV while trying to forget that we were colder than penguins during this cold snap. MLB Network was not an option because it was showing games from the 2009 playoffs. We were quite surprised, however, to see ESPN Classic come through with Game 5 of the 2008 World Series - both parts.

Although we have this game saved on DVR and in a DVD set, we watched.

Three thoughts:

1. In the 7th inning, when J.C. Romero was summoned from the pen, Christine looked at me wondering why I wasn't heckling. As soon as I started the "ster-oid" chant, it went to commercial and the first one was the anti-steroids commercial with the crumbling statue. Just sayin'.

2. Our amazement for Chase Utley's play in the 7th inning continues to grow. It just gets better every time we see it. When watching it unfold live, I didn't think he had a play at home or first, but somehow he nailed Jason Bartlett at home and prevented the Rays from taking a lead. I don't know where it ranks among defensive plays in World Series history, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

3. We still can't believe we were there. Even though Christine has the pin to prove it.

4 comments:

Matty said...

I envy you two for having all those games to watch again. Utley's play was great. Period.

Greg said...

I'm just lucky I married a good baseball fan.

Unknown said...

You know, it's odd, I love Chase and I love "the play," but I'm not so sure it was as calculated as it's been made out to be.

I think it shows great presence, but that he pump faked to get the guy to go... I just don't know.

Maybe I'll go watch it again myself.

Christine said...

I don't know whether the play was intentional or just luck, but either way, I'll take it. Honestly, I usually forget it happened until I'm watching a replay of the game, and every time I'm psyched when Bartlett is called out.