Dec 5, 2009

I underestimated Harry

Growing up in the suburbs of New York in the 1980s, I never really understood the fascination with Phil Rizzuto. He was a character, but one who shirked his responsibilities to call the baseball game. He was more interested in beating the traffic across the George Washington Bridge than the on-field action. He didn't even know yet that he was one of the most overrated players of all-time.

So when I transplanted to the Philly suburbs, I guess that context helps explain why it took a while for Harry Kalas to grow on me. Now I know I was wrong.

I couple weeks ago, I asked Christine whether the Phillies would put up a statue outside Citizens Bank Park for Harry. She didn't think they would because they dedicated the plaque outside the broadcasting booth and named the booth after him, and the restaurant in the ballpark bares his name. All the statues are of players, she noted.

This morning, I told her that because it was a slow news day, I was going to write about a story that popped up yesterday about how a rogue group is proceeding on a Harry statue. She dismissed this group, saying if the Phillies choose to do a statue, they will handle the details. She also repeated that all the other statues are for players.

I don't think that should preclude an honor for Harry because he is more important to the Phillies brand, franchise and fans than anyone who has actually worn the uniform, from Mike Schmidt to Jimmy Rollins.

Christine then reminded me of one of our first blog posts in which we ranked the Red Sox, Phillies and SoxandPhils in the Hall of Fame. I wouldn't let her rank Harry:

When Greg asked for my favorites, I immediately asked if I could include Harry Kalas. He doesn't have a plaque in the main hall, he's just in the broadcaster's section, but if he did count, I think he would be battling for the No. 1 spot.

I don't know if I would change my mind because we were ranking on-field talent, but I would be would be more understanding of her argument.

1 comment:

Matty said...

They don't put players in the broadcasters hall of fame. Let's keep him out of the players' section.

But, I do think that he will find a home somewhere in the park. His likeness will be there, somewhere.