Dec 1, 2009

J-Roll may no longer be top SoxandPhils shortstop

It's no secret that the Red Sox have struggled to find a permanent shortstop since trading Nomar Garciappara for an elusive World Series Championship in 2004.

They've been through Orlando Cabrera, Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, Jed Lowrie and Alex Gonzalez twice. But now, a new name has surfaced: Dustin Pedroia.

While he's clearly the best second baseman in the league (American, I know Chase Utley is better), he is gung-ho about the possibility of shifting to short and intent on mastering the position.

In the true spirit of SoxandPhils, he isn't focused on Jimmy Rollins, but the overrated Derek Jeter:

"When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia says. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the gold glove and silver slugger awards while he can. Obviously, I'm not serious about the fun I have with Derek, but I'm never stopping believing in the goal. I believe I can play shortstop and help get the Red Sox back where they belong."

I'm psyched. To quote one of our favorite movie titles: Bring it on. {Favorite movie title, not movie. Promise.}

Although, a Red Sox source told Nick Cafardo that this move would be a last resort:

While there has been internal discussions about Dustin Pedroia moving to shortstop it would not happen unless the Red Sox exhausted every avenue to acquire a shortstop through free-agency or trade, a team source said this afternoon.

The team is hesitant to give up draft picks for Type-A or Type-B free-agents like Marco Scutaro. And they do have Jed Lowrie to go to to if his wrist stays healthy. While Pedroia to short is an option, there's always great pause in moving such a tremendous second baseman to a different position. Suffice to say, a final decision on this subject is still in the distance.

Other news: A Philly sports icon is coming home. No, not yet Allen Iverson, but former Northampton High star Brian Schneider. I don't understand spending $1.5 million a year on a backup catcher when $5 million was considered too much for a starting third baseman.

Chris Wheeler should be happy. He's always had an admiration of Schneider that borders on creepy obsession. I hate Wheels. I miss being able to say I hate Wheels - well, not really because I really hate Wheels.

And it sounds like he won't be the only veteran coming to the Phillies. Ruben Amaro won't discuss specific players, but said John Smoltz fits the description of a player he would sign. Wink, wink.

Phinally: At last we know why the Phanatic doesn't do road games. It's not out of fear of entering enemy territory, nor respecting another team's house. He just doesn't want to pay the extra taxes.

No comments: