Dec 3, 2009

PP phones home

When I woke up to headlines that the Phillies may soon sign Placido Polanco to replace Pedro Feliz at third, I immediately thought of last offseason when I ripped the Phillies for signing Raul Ibanez to replace Pat Burrell. They were similar players, except Ibanez was older. I didn't like it.

Polanco and Feliz are essentially the same age, and Polanco, whom Christine dubbed PP in his first stint as a Phillie, is the better player. There is no doubt PP is the much superior hitter, but he was adequate at second base and will be expected to replace Feliz, an exceptional third baseman who may be one of the best ever. (I wouldn't go that far, but someone who knows more about the subject, Michael Jack Schmidt, said so on WIP this morning.)

Perhaps Polanco will play an adequate third base and no one will miss Pete Happy, but again, I just don't understand how one year for Feliz at $5 million was deemed extravagant while three years and $18 million for PP is considered a bargain.

Oh, and back to the Ibanez comparisons, of course I didn't know that Raul recruited his neighbor to Philadelphia:

During his press conference today at the Bank, Polanco said he resides two blocks from Raul Ibanez in South Florida. About two weeks ago, Ruben Amaro Jr. paid a visit to Polanco, letting him know the Phillies were interested in reacquiring him to play third base. From there, Ibanez became the club's chief recruiter, encouraging Polanco to rejoin the Phillies.

"We work out together," Polanco said, "and he said [Philadelphia] was better than what I told him."

So don't count me thrilled that PP has joined the ranks of Doug Glanville, Jose Mesa and Ricky Bottalico as players with more than one stint with the Phillies.

Christine was upset they got rid of Feliz, but she liked Polanco when he was a Phillie and will reserve judgment until she sees PP take some balls at third.

Rob Neyer and Beerleaguer.com approve of the signing.

Other news: The Red Sox may also sign an infielder similar to Polanco - similar in that I won't be happy with the acquisition and Christine will like his name: Marco Scutaro. ... And a day after the Braves signed former Red Sox reliever Billy Wagner (also a SoxandPhil), they locked up Takashi Saito. No word when the "Former NL Closers Who Briefly Pitched for the Red Sox Caucus" will have its first meeting in Atlanta.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I approve of the signing, too. Here's why, and it's something I learned from the Ibanez signing: Each year it's good to make a fairly big change at one position by bringing in a veteran guy who's good but hasn't won a ring. The core will motivate him and he'll get off to a great start. Book that.

Separately, I want to trade Hamels and one midlevel prospect for Halladay.

Greg said...

You know, I heard someone on the radio a while back say Charlie has that same theory about making a change every year. It might have been Zolecki.

I can't believe you're giving up on Hamels.

I'd take him.

Christine just asked for whom.

Jed Lowrie.

Christine says no.

Matty said...

I have mixed feelings on PP, especially at 18 over 3 at his age. But Amaro has worked his magic before. Time will tell.