Dec 9, 2009

Quick question

During the winter meetings, I feel a strange dichotomy - overwhelmed by all the rumors flying around yet frustrated by the lack of exciting news from the Red Sox and Phillies.

Normally, I wouldn't dabble in these rumors, but I have to ask: Which is more disturbing, that the Red Sox are considering Milton Bradley or that the Phillies are considering John Smoltz?

Normally, I'd say Bradley is more troubling, but I cannot see the Red Sox actually doing it. I could see the Phillies signing Smoltz - despite his disdain of Citizens Bank Park.

2 comments:

Matty said...

This time every year, the rumors start flying. Who starts them, or how they get started can be debated. I suspect the media is behind it because they need something to write about until something actually does happen. But one thing's for sure. They happen this time every year.

And until something actually happens, they remain just that. Rumors.

The Phillies have a long standing history of signing aging veterans. So going after Smoltz, who could possibly fill a need in the pen, doesn't surprise me. Nor do I find it disturbing.

Bradley, on the other hand, does. Or should I say, the Red Sox having an interest in actually signing him, does. How they could possibly believe that he would "fit" the organization is beyond me. His legacy precedes him.

Is Epstein that dense? Or desperate?

Greg said...

I'm only disturbed by Smoltz because of his performance for the Red Sox.

I do not believe Theo would bring in Milton Bradley. I don't quite know what this one is about.