Dec 23, 2009

Comcast killed the newspaper star

***UPDATED AT 9 P.M.***

Several days ago, I flipped on WIP. They were in the middle of a segment with a local baseball expert discussing the then-impending Roy Halladay trade.

The expert sounded like the Inquirer's Jim Salisbury. Angelo Cataldi even called him Jim. But then when he was wrapping up the interview, Angelo gave the expert a plug and reminded people that his work could be found at Comcast SportsNet.

I meant to look up who the Phillies reporter "Jim" from Comcast SportsNet was, but I forgot. Coincidentally, Christine came home that night and asked, "Did you know Jim Salisbury went to Comcast?"

Now I do.

What's going on?

Comcast's New England SportsNet already has former Providence Journal Red Sox writers Sean McAdam and Art Martone working for them.

Todd Zolecki jumped to MLB.com, Gordon Edes went to ESPN.com, and Dan Shaughnessy is focused more on SI.com. How long will there be newspaper reporters left covering our teams?

As someone whose semi-successful newspaper career was taken from him a year ago this month, I should applaud these guys for leaving on their own terms, but I'm sad about this. It's just another sign of the newspaper's demise.

I just have to remember to check Comcast's pages for SoxandPhils news.

***UPDATE***I forgot to check tonight, and Salisbury has a scoop that the Phillies might have a secretive deal with reliever Danys Baez.

No comments: