Dec 29, 2009

I pity the fool

I'm really not sad or bitter that Jason Bay will be a Met next year.

I just feel sorry for him.

Yes, I'm in no position to feel bad for a guy who will be getting $66 million, but I can't understand this one.

Bay toiled in the organizations of the Expos, Mets, Padres and Pirates before unexpectedly being traded to the Red Sox to replace Manny Ramirez in 2008.

He seemed to thrive in his first winning environment. You'd think he'd want to win more, but instead, he signed with the Mets, a team that I guess could be competitive by the time his four-year deal expires.

The sad part here - for Bay, not the Red Sox - is that he could have stayed for a reasonable deal, but the Red Sox weren't going to wait around forever and simply changed plans. I think John Lackey and Mike Cameron will be do more to help the Red Sox run differential than Bay will do for the Mets.

So, J-Bay, thanks for the last year and a half. You were a true gamer and professional. I wish you the best (despite that doing so will get a poke in the ribs from Christine), but I know you're on a team that has as much of a chance as winning as the one you were on before you were traded to the Red Sox.

Oh, and don't worry about your next trip to Philadelphia. I'm sure the fans in left field will give you a nice warm welcome.

No comments: