Dec 7, 2009

What??

I had a busy day at work and was constantly running around.

At one point I quickly checked my e-mail and saw Christine sent me a message with the subject of "What??"

For some reason, I thought it was something personal. You know by now it wasn't, or I wouldn't be mentioning it here. It was:

Burrell traded to Mets

By: Tom Haines
phillyBurbs.com

Former Phillies outfielder Pat Burrell has reportedly been swapped twice this morning, eventually landing with Phils division rival the New York Mets. The Tampa Bay Rays traded the slugging left fielder to the Chicago Cubs then the Cubs dealt Burrell to the Mets. Names of other players involved in the deals were not immediately available.

I repeated Christine's "What??" out loud. Fortunately, none of my cubicle neighbors questioned what had disturbed me.

A few minutes later I bumped into a Mets fan who hadn't heard that the Mets were getting Pat the Bat. ESPN.com didn't have a story, and a quick Google search yielded Mets deny reported Burrell trade:

A club official shot down the report, saying that the report was uncategorically false.

Ouch.

Phillyburbs.com has removed its story.

Red Sox: SS/P prospect Casey Kelly will no longer be bipolar and will focus solely on pitching. ... We signed a Texan, Scott Atchison, who had been pitching in Japan. ... And Terry Francona is confident he will have a left fielder by spring training:

I'm sure when we head down to Fort Myers we'll have a left fielder. We always do. They're really good about that. We're amazingly consistent in that every year we always have a left fielder and I'm guessing we're going to have one this year, too.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Yeah, I was about to say "what" too.

Greg said...

I guess we should know better than to believe everything we read.