Apr 8, 2009

From champs to chumps and back to champs

When I left work, the Phillies were losing 7-3. When Greg got home from work, I informed him that they were losing 10-3. But as I was making dinner, I heard an unfamiliar sound coming from the TV - what's that? Cheering? Harry sounds excited? The Phillies have closed the gap?

Soon enough, they had the lead. And then, finally, they had a win. 12-11, Phillies over the Braves.

What a relief. I was afraid I was going to have to write a grumpy post conceding the season tonight.

I'm not sure what sparked the collapse of the Braves bullpen or the Phillies sudden patience at the plate. My working theory is that Charlie Manuel threatened to take away the World Series rings the players were presented with before this afternoon's game if they didn't start playing better.

Well, I don't really care how it happened; I'm just glad it did. And like last year, I'm thrilled that the Phillies are opening the season at 1-2 instead of 0-3.

Ring ceremony: The final 2008 World Series celebration took place before the game, and I watched it quickly on DVR before the Rays-Red Sox game came on tonight. ... Pat Burrell looked quite dapper; I think he wore the sunglasses so we couldn't see if he teared up. ... Adam Eaton acknowledged the showers of boos he received, but seemed a little too cocky accepting his ring. Yeah, you may have won four games for the team last year, but you also lost eight. But all in all, I'm amused that he showed up. So did Geoff Jenkins, but he was cheered. ... Greg and I were surprised that J.C. Romero was allowed to wear his uniform. ... Pat Gillick was crying as he greeted each player. ... I would love to know how many rings the Phillies are giving out and who's getting them.

I expect to watch several more ring ceremonies in Philadelphia over the next few years, but Greg's right. I'm just ready for this season to kick into gear.

Rays-Sox: Tampa Bay is also playing like a champ tonight. They're currently up 5-1 in the 6th. DH Burrell is 0-2 with a walk. Jon Lester gave up five runs in five innings.

[After watching their performance in the World Series, I forgot what a tough opponent they can be.]

[Image: The Zo Zone]

No comments: