Apr 30, 2009

Perfect night ruined

I was looking forward to tonight all week because the Phillies were off and MLB Network was showing the Red Sox-Rays game.

But I missed the beginning of the game because I decided to hustle and mow the grass because of a rainy weekend forecast. When I came inside, there was no score in the third, so I assumed Josh Beckett was in control. Oops. He soon lost it and gave up seven runs in 4 2/3 innings. His ERA is 7.22. Remember when I said Cole Hamels is reminding me of Josh Beckett in 2008? Well, the 2009 Beckett is making me long for the 2008 Beckett.

But he wasn't the story of the game. Matt Garza took a perfect game into the 7th inning. Jacoby Ellsbury led off that inning with a comebacker. Garza might have slowed it down, preventing the shortstop from making a play. It was a real disappointing end to a no-hit bid. There were only two other Sox baserunners, both walks. I was half-rooting for the no-hitter. The Sox lost, 13-0.

Some comic relief in the 8th: Terry Francona replaced Tuesday's goat (Javier Lopez) with Wednesday's hero (Jonathan Van Every). But not only did the outfielder pitch, the pitcher took his spot in right field.

No comments: