Apr 18, 2009

Beautiful day, ugly night

I've waited all winter for this day. The cold was finally replaced by a sunny day in the mid 70s.

I took my first bike ride of the season. I cut the grass and did other spring cleaning around the yard. Christine and I took a walk preparing for next week's charity walk. Then we grilled up a nice summery meal as the Phillies came on.

We didn't go to Harry Kalas' services, mistakenly figuring the place would be jam-packed. Christine watched bits and pieces on TV, and I listened on the radio while putting up some stone edging around one of our flower beds.

Earlier in the day, I heard WIP's Anthony Gargano, while reminiscing about Harry and Richie Asburn, use the old cliche that baseball is life's soundtrack. He said you could walk in South Philly and listen to their broadcast from front porch to front porch, or at the shore from blanket to blanket. I got that vibe for some reason as I listened to speeches from Jamie Moyer, Mike Schmidt and assorted politicians float from my garage to the front of the yard where I hammered bricks into the ground.

Now, I'll probably always associate Harry with that flower bed.

Later, watching the Chase Utley hit in the 1st inning, I thought I should add a standing feature to the blog called "We miss Harry." Today's moment would be when Tom McCarthy felt the need to explain that they give out Silver Sluggers at the end of the year to the best hitter at each position - even the mound. I miss Harry.

Today's games: Not quite a beautiful day for SoxandPhils closers. Brad Lidge's save streak is over. Christine predicted it when he gave up the leadoff double. You know Harry would have sounded pained calling the Padres' four-run 9th inning off the formerly perfect Phillies closer. That's two consecutive awful losses for the defending world champions.

The Red Sox scored six runs off former Phil Adam Eaton in four innings, thanks to a big night by my MVP pick, Kevin Youkilis (4-5, four RBI, two runs, two doubles and a home run). Jonathan Papelbon came close to joining Lidge on the blown saves list, but he ended the 6-4 game with the potential tying run on first.

And congratulations to the Cleveland Indians for setting a record for the most runs (14) in a 2nd inning today in their 22-4 win.

No comments: